The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Innocent

There are many shows of faith and spirituality by Odysseus. Now whether this is true faith or the simple fact that he knows that the gods exist could be debated. He prays to one god or another at some points in the epic. Here he is trying to make land by stream and is praying to an unknown god for assistance. "Hear me, O King, whoever you may be, and save me from the anger of the sea-god Poseidon, for I approach you prayerfully. Anyone who has lost his way has at all times a claim even upon the gods, wherefore in my distress I draw near to your stream, and cling to the knees of your riverhood. Have mercy upon me, O king, for I declare myself your suppliant."  
           

 He also prays to Athena after reaching the land of Phaeacians. "Hear me," he cried, "daughter of Aegis-bearing Zeus, unweariable, hear me now, for you gave no heed to my prayers when Poseidon was wrecking me. Now, therefore, have pity upon me and grant that I may find friends and be hospitably received by the Phaeacians."
           


 Actual fear and innocence is shown by Nausicaa’s maids when Odysseus comes out from behind the bush to reveal himself to her. As he said this he crept from under his bush, and broke off a bough covered with thick leaves to hide his nakedness. He looked like some lion of the wilderness that stalks about exulting in his strength and defying both wind and rain; his eyes glare as he prowls in quest of oxen, sheep, or deer, for he is famished, and will dare break even into a well-fenced homestead, trying to get at the sheep - even such did Odysseus seem to the young women, as he drew near to them all naked as he was, for he was in great want. On seeing one so unkempt and so begrimed with salt water, the others scampered off along the spits that jutted out into the sea, but the daughter of Alkinoos stood firm, for Athena put courage into her heart and took away all fear from her.”

No comments:

Post a Comment